Introduction and meaning: The rise in earth’s surface temperature as a consequence of greenhouse effect is called Global Warming.
The greenhouse gases such as carbon-dioxide and other pollutants absorbs more heat from the sun then it radiates back. This causes an increase in the intensity of heat in atmosphere.
The thickening of earth atmosphere because of presence of increased carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases is called greenhouse effect.
What causes Global Warming?
1. Deforestation and industrial emissions result to an increase greenhouse gases (such as carbon-dioxide) around earth’s atmosphere.
2. These greenhouse gases traps and absorbs atmospheric heat and ultimately causes Global warming (an increase earth’s surface temperature).
Effects / Impact of Global Warming
If Global warming continues the world would be in danger. The major effects and impacts of Global Warming are:
1. Climate Change: Global warming is causing climate change. The world’s is becoming warmer and warmer. There is also prediction of regional climate changes along the ecosystem.
2. Sea Level Change: One major consequence of global warming arising out of greenhouse effect is the rise in sea level. Four major changes take place prior to this. They are: Thermal expansion, mountain glacier melting, Greenland ice sheet melting and Polar (Arctic and Antarctic) ice sheet melting. Thus, the coastal cities and ports may be submerged under sea-water. Many islands may vanish from the earth surface as well as from the world map.
3. Water Balance: Although changes in sea-level have received much publicity, problems of water availability are likely to be more serious and perhaps more expensive to solve. In future, warmer world will face water crisis in some parts while in other regions it will be wetter than it is now.
There is uncertainty regarding regional forecasts of future precipitation as warming of globe makes it difficult to predict. Also, pattern of agricultural changes, or effects on ecosystems in general are fairly unpredictable.
4. Human Health: The human health is put at risk because of Global warming. In recent years, there have been newer reports of spread of major tropical diseases with changing climate. As the earth becomes warmer, more and more people are likely to be affected by tropical diseases.
How to prevent Global Warming?
The problem of Global Warming can be controlled by minimizing the emission of greenhouse gases into the environment. The following preventive steps would help save the earth from the harmful effects of Global Warming.
- Laws. The Laws that governs pollution and greenhouse gases should be followed.
- Reduction in thermal power generating stations. Reduced dependence on thermal power for our electricity need would help towards reducing the quantity if carbon dioxide in the environment. The use of fossil fuels for generating conventional energy is a major of greenhouse gases.
- We should not waste paper. We can save paper by keeping documents in electronic format and by not printing emails.
- Planting Trees. Trees absorb carbon dioxide and releases oxygen. Trees are helpful in reducing the problem of global warming.
- Sharing our car. We can share our car while going to office or performing other scheduled activities. On one hand, we will save money, and on the other, we will emit less greenhouse gases.
Category: Environment, Essays, Paragraphs and Articles
Global Warming and the Greenhouse Effect Essay example
763 Words4 Pages
Global Warming and the Greenhouse Effect
Human induced climate change resulting from an enhanced greenhouse effect is probably the greatest environmental threat facing the world today. Specifically, the emission of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide may be classified as the primary culprit. As a result of greenhouse gases entering the upper levels of the earth's atmosphere, it diminishes or breaks down the earth's Ozone layer. With this loss of this protective blanket, harmful radioactive rays from the sun enter the deeper into the earth's atmosphere. This creates a rise in the overall temperature of our planet, along with alterations in the global environment, ecosystems and way of life for the habitants of earth.
The earth…show more content…
I think a considerable measure that can be taken would be to address the threat of climate change to the main international countries contributing to it. I think all countries should discuss and create a solution to minimize the atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases at a level that would prevent dangerous interference with the earthsâ€™ climate change. Such a level should be achieved within a timeframe sufficient to allow ecosystems to adapt naturally to climate change, to ensure food production is not threatened and to allow economic development to proceed in a sustainable manner. One example of this in our world today is the use of â€œGreen Buildingâ€? technology or â€œSustainable Designâ€? in architectural design of structures. This innovative idea of building allows structures to be built using recycled materials or substances that are less harmful to the environment. The efficient use of light and energy would be the most concentrated means of achieving a specific design goal.
Aside from the political and legal measures taken in this matter, I feel companies need to undertake voluntary measures to address the climate change. As residents of earth, it is essential to be aware of the impacts onesâ€™ company is generating. A company should measure their greenhouse gas emission and assess the impacts of these gases from their products. Companies should also try to