An argumentative essay is a particular type of academic writing. It requires students to develop and articulate a clear position on their respective research topic. This argumentative position is advanced and supported through the engaged use of research to support the writer's perspective in the attempt to convince his or her audience to share the author's view. To write a strong argumentative essay, students should begin by familiarizing themselves with some of the common, and often conflicting, positions on the research topic so that they can write an informed paper. Students then need to begin compiling relevant evidence, including statistics, expert opinions, and verifiable facts to support their position.
Generally speaking, the primary purpose of an argumentative essay is to persuade an audience to see things from another perspective, particularly one that may go against their entrenched presuppositions.
What Constitutes a Strong Argumentative Essay Topic?
In choosing your topic, it is often a good idea to begin with a subject that you already have some familiarity with. Even if you chose to hire professional help for the paper, writing on a topic you have knowledge of and interest in will make a much better platform for your ideas, and you will have a better command of the relevant issues pertaining to your topic. It is often a good idea to choose a topic that tends to elicit an emotional response. Getting your audience invested emotionally can go a long way in persuading them to see your perspective, and getting engaged with your paper.
Chose Your Own Topic or Have Your Essay Completed For You
We provide an excellent list of topics to get you started writing your own argumentative essay. However, we also offer services to have your essay written for you for a small fee. Our company currently has hundreds of professional writers with extensive backgrounds in academic contexts, including research, essay and dissertation writing. Our employees have written hundreds of essays for students across the world. Our company has the knowledge and experience required to customize essays to suit any academic context or subject, and to ensure you receive the grade you want. Contact us now to see how we can provide you with these services!
If you decide to compose the paper on your own, below is the list of strong argumentative paper topics. Some of the more frequently discussed ones include sample essays.
Middle and High School Level Topics
- Should obtaining contraceptives require teenagers to have parental approval?
- Should restrictions be imposed on the number of passengers a minor is allowed to transport in his or her vehicle?
- Should it be mandatory to obtain a high school education?
College Level Topics
- When is it justifiable to employ military force?
- If a minor commits a crime, should the parents be held accountable?
- Should academic success be the main determining factor in college admissions?
Topics You Would be Wise to Avoid
- Is our current governmental process just?
- Are athletes unfairly compensated for their skills?
- Should a moral limit be imposed on how far science can go?
- Should we take at face value all of the claims made by infomercials?
- Should it be permissible to post videos of funny cats on social media sites?
- What song is the absolute worst one ever written?
- Video and computer games can negatively impact those who play them.
- Sexual education is the best way to prevent teenage pregnancy and a variety of other issues.
- Is it legal to terminate a pregnancy?
Topics in Bioethics
- Is it moral or justifiable to employ animals in research?
- Cloning should be a forbidden practice.
Topics Pertaining to the IT Sphere
- Some internet browsers and search engines can prompt privacy and security concerns among users.
- Sites, where you can download protected content, violate copyright laws.
- Should there be regulations imposed on YouTube commenters?
- Do you agree or disagree that the Internet has become too commercialized?
Topics Relevant to Legal Issues
- Do gun control regulations help to reduce crime?
- Is capital punishment a justifiable action?
- Is the practice of euthanasia a defensible one?
- The book "Twelve Angry Men" is a literary representation of democracy, including its potential flaws.
- Should same-sex marriage be legalized?
- It is never justifiable to submit someone to torture.
- Smoking in commonly held places should not be permitted.
- Regulations in society are becoming too controlling.
- It is wrong to make the use of marijuana legal in some states.
- It should be illegal to produce and sell cigarettes.
Topics of Social Concern
- Racial tolerance is enhanced by cross-cultural marriages.
- The behavior of children from one-parent homes is different from those who come from a two-parent household.
- Criminal activity is more frequently engaged in by men rather than women.
- Youthfulness makes people more rebellious by nature, and consequently, young adults are more receptive to negative influence.
- Children who saw violence on TV are more likely to be violent themselves
- Sexual content on TV influences teenagers in a negative way.
- The best way to improve education is to homeschool children.
- Because trees recycle air, the destruction of rainforests should be prohibited.
- To reduce gas prices, should countries drill for oil in environmentally protected places?
- Global warming does not actually exist.
- Do electric cars potentially offer a remedy to worldwide pollution?
Topic Pertaining to Society and the Media
- Is it true or false that women' body images are influenced by the media?
- Is it true or false that there is causality between playing violent video games and perpetuating violence in schools?
- Do cities have an obligation to preserve old or historic buildings?
- Losing weight can not be achieved by dieting.
- Acquiring the loyalty of employees can only be done through monetary rewards.
- Career success is no longer dependent on life-long learning skills.
- The veracity of Correspondence Theory of Truth is a legitimate position to hold.
- Japan should not be allowed to claim the Dokdo islands as they are the property of Korea.
- Ghost hunting involves the deception of people.
Advice on How to Write an Excellent Argumentative Essay
- body paragraphs
Utilizing the above structure for an argumentative essay will help keep you focused, and ensure that your audience can follow your argument.
- The opening paragraph states the paper's thesis topic clearly and concisely and elaborates very briefly on the background as well as the importance of the subject.
- The body paragraphs come after the introduction paragraph. This is where the writer advances his or her arguments and provides accurate and trustworthy evidence to support them.
- The type of supporting evidence should be based on the topic of the essay: factual, anecdotal, logical or statistical.
- After conveying his or her own position, the author addresses alternative perspectives.
- The essay is finished with a concluding paragraph. This is a highly important component of the essay, as this makes a final impression on the reader. Here the author should briefly summarize the key points he or she has made in the body paragraphs, as well as state why his or her perspective is to be preferred. A few comments on the significance of the topic for a contemporary audience should also be included here. The conclusion should not include any new information that was not previously addressed in the paper.
Another helpful resource to make your writing seem more polished is to employ connection words.
How are Connection Words Supposed to be Used in Writing an Argumentative Essay?
Connection words act like bridges between the ideas articulated in your paper. They assist in the flow of the paper as you transition from one idea to another.
Addition: also, in addition, together, likewise;
Contrast: however, in reality, still, despite, nevertheless, otherwise;
Cause or Purpose: for the purpose of, as/so long as, given that, with this in mind;
Result: therefore, for this reason, consequently, accordingly, as a result;
Conclusion: all things considered, as shown above, in conclusion, for the most part, to summarize.
How Will this Knowledge Help Me in the Future?
Knowing how to write a strong argumentative paper helps you advance your own argumentative thinking. Thinking critically and being able to persuasively advocate your own position are fundamentally important skills to have in contemporary society. In many professional contexts, respectful argumentation is what leads to the development of new ideas and perspectives. Being able to compose a strong argument will help you succeed in society.
Part of what constitutes success is the ability to maintain focus, and in particular to direct your focus to what you really think and how you want to devote your future time, life, and resources. The more time you can invest in this, the further ahead you will be in pursuing your career goals.
We have been writing academic papers for students since 2015. We encourage you to employ our services as one of the components of your career success trajectory.
Did you Know?
Many brilliant people who achieved success in life were actually academic drop-outs. Because they were so preoccupied with what was important to them, they often couldn't complete their homework on time. Regardless if you are a successful business entrepreneur, have a hectic job in a fast-paced corporation, or have a personal emergency or unforeseen circumstance, failing a class or module is a possibility if you do not have your academic work submitted in time. That's why our essay writers are here to provide assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had been aware of our services, they likely would have gotten their degrees on time!
If you're a student of the English 101 class or any similar course, you have most probably faced tons of writing assignments. They drive most students mad. School students feel less pressure than college and university peers. Higher academic levels require higher knowledge and broader set of skills. That is why students from colleges receive more complicated assignments. The topics become more complex.
Usually, the teachers or professors assign the topics on their own. However, sometimes students have a right to pick their own questions for discussion.
An argumentative essay is that type of academic papers which requires three set if skills from each student:
- Research skills
- Reading and writing
When you experience difficulties with at least one of the listed skills, it is better to hire professional assistance from one of that numerous, trusted websites. In any case, try to compose an essay on your own without any help. You may use various examples available on the internet for free.
Remember: argumentative tasks are assigned to maintain debating abilities. This sort of task impacts how well a student will give speeches in public or simply defend his point of view in the future.
How to Choose Negotiable Argumentative Topics Wisely
Many students feel relaxed when their tutors come up with the topic ideas. Still, it is better to have a freedom of choice as far as you can pick the issue which interests you. It is possible to choose an interesting topic from any field of science. While working on the argumentative paper, a student must gather all relevant and time-tested sources to show his awareness of the particular problem. Students should use some of the following credible resources:
- Their class textbooks
- Various published editions
- Academic journals
- Laws and regulations
You may be an expert in the selected area, but always remember to add quotes from the external sources. This way, students prove that they can gather and choose sources with the most quality information on the given topic. Moreover, in-text citations will show your awareness of the different papers formats. Formatting is one of the steps on the way to your desired grade. Whenever you have any doubts concerning the topic to write your argumentative essay on, contact online specialists who are selling cheap custom argumentative essays on any topics in the world. They know how to make your essay stand out from the rest of the papers.
Grab Your Stunning Essay
Top Recommended Argumentative Essay Topics
Simple Argumentative Essay Topics
- The complexity of the US educational system
- The problem of obesity among American population
- Free access to the internet is one of the biggest threats to education
- Men should have a right to make decisions on their own whether to join the war or not
- College curriculum should be changed with respect to students’ preferences
- The advantages of higher education
- Which languages are the most widespread and demanded nowadays?
- Is Spanish really the simplest language to study?
- MBA: pros and cons of studying business
- Can we say about an educational system that it is too commercialized?
- Why are Michigan, SAT, and ACT results important?
Sports Related Subjects
- Are steroids helping or destroying our body?
- PE lessons in the educational system.
- NCAA: advantages and disadvantages
- What is the highest achievement in sport?
- Is Mike Tyson still a superstar?
Argumentative Paper Topics for Young Students
- Is there a strong correlation between regular training, meals, and overall health condition?
- Are diets as effective as they are told?
- The negative consequences of the anorexia fashion.
- Why should people dedicate more time to sleep?
- Is it still cool to play golf?
- Is swimming the only sport that keeps fit all human body muscles?
- Skiing and other risky sports.
- Children should not watch horror films.
College Argumentative Essay Topics
- It is illegal to produce and sell tobacco
- 25 years of prison instead of the death sentence
- Passive smokers suffer more than active
- Can alcohol completely destroy human brain?
- The government should forbid alcohol sales after 10 P.M.
- Are non-alcoholic energetic drinks dangerous?
- Does TV have a right to document every court proceeding?
- When can people start voting?
- The most appropriate age to start smoking or using alcohol.
- Is there justice for social minorities?
- Was the Industrial Revolution spread all over Europe?
Classical Argumentative Ideas
- The government must forbid the usage of species of animals in research
- Government must punish each citizen who does harm to the environment
- Are electric vehicles the best solution the problem of pollution?
- Globalization: for and against
- Why do people say that Wilson actually lost the war?
- The strong aspects of Roosevelt reign
- Was King-Kong right killing humans who came to investigate his land?
- Are the US really under the threat of disappearing from the map?
- The consequences of tornado
- Tsunami and its sacrifices
- How can people protect the nature of Amazonia?
- Are there any true Indians left on the territory of America?
Controversial Argumentative Topics
- How to overcome the risk of the Third World War?
- Is there a chance that financial crisis will stop?
- More schools should become public and free
- Top colleges and universities should raise their acceptance rates
- Everyone has a right to free education
- The right way to implement gun control and other preventing measures
- Same-sex marriages and their impact on the society
- High level of corruption is one of the causes of low wages
- Is there a way to be above the law?
- Communism is not that bad
- Is CIS the best replacement of the USSR?
Technological Argumentative Essay Topics
- Computer games like shooters caused mass murders at the US schools
- Are many modern people lonely due to the existing technology?
- Filthy language on the web
- The age of technologies turns us into zombies
- The usage of smartphones leads to less live communication
- Technology and its influence on educational system
- When will the rapid technological advancement stop?
Argumentative Essay Related to Social Media
- Is technology restricting human imagination?
- Threats of having accounts in social networks like Facebook
- The modern world depends on the Internet heavily
- Can virtual relationships exist?
- Is online censorship critical for the Internet users?
Fifth & Sixth Grade Argumentative Essay
- Healthcare: any treatment must be free
- People are all kind by their nature
- The working hours must be reduced to let people dedicate more time to their families
- The wages should go up in the United States
- Governments must invest more in the social movements
- Parents cannot interrupt too much in the lives of their kids
- Spy applications do really work
- Cloning is not legal
- Every woman has a right to decide on her own regarding abortion
- Is it OK for a woman to date a much younger man?
- Cross-cultural marriages positively impact the racial tolerance
- Global warming (Just download the sample you need for free!)
- Are abortions legal?
- Is online dating safe enough?
Humorous & Joking Argument Topics
- Would Superman find his place in a real world?
- Why do Ninja Turtles love pizza?
- Who should portray April in TNMT movie?
- 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D: When Will It Ever Stop?
- Can the chip fully control our brains and actions?
- The jokes of Peter Griffin make Family Guy the best TV show ever
- Why are humans in Simpsons yellow?
- Marijuana does no real harm to human health
- How to make parents softer with their children?
Music + Art + Cinematography Argumentative Essay Topics
- Can you earn enough money on art?
- Music and films are better than painting
- Which type of art is the most popular in Europe?
- Can you earn sufficient amount of money being an artist?
- Are today's lyrics making any sense?
- Heavy metal makes more sense than hip-hop
- Modern movies are worse than they used to be in the middle of 20th century
- Kurt Cobain did not kill himself
Download More Argumentative Paper Examples Online
Helpful Tips & Common Features of the Good Topic Ideas
If you want every reader to enjoy your writing and make it to the end, here is what you should do:
- Select an idea that everybody is talking about today. Consider rumors, facts, interesting stories, etc.
- Pick a problem which makes the majority of people have doubts.
- Try to select the audience which denies your point of view.
- Choose the topic on which everybody has a unique thought.
- Come up with a topic which relates to your own
We Have Collected the Most Useful Hints and Prompts Based on the Successful Argumentative Essays:
- Avoid choosing obvious argumentative essay topics!
- Never pick an issue that does not have any arguments. Ignore topics that are too trivial.
- A persuasive paper has to concentrate on the problem discussed by centuries. It may even lead to the international conflicts, but people will go on discussing it.
- Issues connected with the politics (e.g. US government or elections) are always great.
- Feel free to pick the topic associated with the modern college standards that do annoy most of the students. It may stimulate your peers to argue with your tutors, but that is what argumentative essay is all about!
- Avoid topics that people usually agree on without any hesitations.
- Try not to choose any topics related to the sensitive aspects of our life such as religion, gender, nationality, etc.
- Follow MLA or APA format as there are many examples on the web.
- Always pay attention to what other people say about your chosen theme.
You may notice that the process is almost always the same. The main purpose is to select the most inspiring argumentative essay topics to have an impact you expect. The goal is to satisfy your target audience, no matter whether it's your teacher or classmates. Pretend that you compete to receive the highest award in some contest. Here, A grade is your most wanted prize. Each time you demand quick assistance with your task, contact online expert writing service which can prepare an argumentative essay on the topic you like. They will do it pretty fast.
What about the Structure?
Every academic paper has its own structure. The argumentative essay involves the following stages:
- Broad primary and secondary research
- Collecting sources
- Choosing the most trusted and latest sources
- Preparing a draft
- Writing your paper
- Proofreading & Editing
- Double-checking all mistakes
As for the organization of the final essay, it is recommended to use a 5-paragraph structure. Develop an outline and keep to it. Your unique ideas must flow in this way:
- Introduction. Include some interesting facts, add a quote, joke, or find another way to attract the reader from the very beginning. Then, create a powerful thesis statement.
- First body paragraph. Begin with your argument number one. Don't forget about in-text citations to support your argument. Add evidence to sound persuasive.
- Second body paragraph. Write down your argument number two. Don't forget about in-text citations to support your argument. Add evidence to sound persuasive.
- Third body paragraph. Write down your argument number three. Don't forget about in-text citations to support your argument. Add evidence to sound persuasive.
- Conclusion. It is the last paragraph of your entire essay. Restate your thesis which is the last sentence of your introduction. Prepare a brief review of the main points. Add Call-to-Action in the last sentence.
- Bibliography. List all of the applied sources.
Is't it easy to choose, prepare a draft, write, and proofread? Save your best argumentative essays to use them in your future career.
When you have no wish to work on your argumentative paper or any other academic assignments, keep in mind that there are professional online writers capable of completing the task of any difficulty level. They are 24/7 available to help the students of the English-speaking world with their academic troubles. Raise your performance and productivity by ordering an exclusive argumentative paper from the top US and UK writers!
Require academic assistance? – Get it right here and right now!